Date visited: August 9, and August 12, 2021

Location: SE Calgary. Or SW? I’m confused about that!

Best Time of Year To Visit: Any time of year.

This park wasn’t selected randomly. I was in the area twice within a few days of each other, so I decided to stop by the park.

Note: I’m reposting this. I had some technical issues with posting it last time.

Park Features and Highlights:

No matter how you enter the park, you can’t do it without seeing the Elbow River. Whether you cross the bridge or enter by this river path, you can’t avoid the river. It’s lovely though, so I don’t care!

There’s an area where you can get closer to the river and other areas with benches overlooking the river. It’s a great way to relax if you have walked a lot. There are spaces to go wading in the river (if that’s what you’re into). I tried wading when I was there, and it’s getting to be that time of year when the water goes from refreshing to cold!

There is a gym near the park, which is a cool look. You can work out and then chill in the park afterwards. Additionally, there is a playground for kids and picnic tables nearby.

The bridges are even cooler! You get some great views of the city on the bridges, especially in the summer because clearly, the greenery is blocking the city!

Park Surrounding Area:

The area nearby is known as the Mission district. It was initially settled by French missionaries. If you look closely, you can see signs of its French history. For instance, the street signs say what the original names of the streets were and those original names are all French! There are more clues to look out for as well. It’s one of the most vibrant areas I have seen in Calgary! There are lots of local businesses on 4th St SW, and the Beltline Murals are there on 17th Ave SW. I will do a post about the Beltline Murals someday. It’s a great place to get together with people and try different foods!

Additionally, the Calgary Stampede takes place nearby. I don’t know whether Stampeders go to the park to chill out, but I hope they do!

Challenges. What Challenges?:

This is the most accessible park ever! Yes, there are dips and hills, especially around the bridges, but overall, it’s a wonderful place for everyone to enjoy!

One Last Thing:

I have been rather busy of late because I am applying for permanent residence and starting a business. I am still visiting parks when it’s not smoky, but I don’t have much time to post about them. Additionally, I might not comment on your posts as often either, but it doesn’t mean I haven’t read them. Thanks for reading!

If you miss any of my future posts on my challenge or want to reread my past posts, you can go to my page Calgary Parks Challenge. You can also find more photos from the parks on my Instagram page here.

See you at the next park in my challenge!

1. I liked that you underlined the former French presence. This is often the case in Canada, the French came first in many places but strangely this is not always mentioned, as if the page had been torn out of the book.

1. Third Culture Kid – I am a Third Culture Kid who has lived in five different countries: πŸ‡¨πŸ‡­πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦/πŸ‡―πŸ‡²πŸ‡·πŸ‡Ί. I moved to Canada in October 2020 and I started blogging about adjusting to life here. Follow my blog for tips on expat life, stories about my life as a Third Culture Kid, features on where I have lived, and world news.

Well, I am quite partial to areas that are formerly French. Whenever I have been in the area I have heard French spoken. I suspect it’s an area of choice for Quebecois. Thanks for commenting 😊

2. Pooja G – Hi there! I'm Pooja, the creator of Lifesfinewhine. I'm a historian and a freelancer. I love reading, writing, music, art and so much more!

Loved the images! Good luck with the PR- I heard it’s a bit easier to get one at the moment so fingers crossed 🀞

Thank you! I am hoping I can get it pretty smoothly. At first, I was worried bc of the election, but I know someone who knows Canadian politics and she said that it takes a long time to change immigration rules even if a different party gains power. Thanks for commenting 😊

1. Pooja G – Hi there! I'm Pooja, the creator of Lifesfinewhine. I'm a historian and a freelancer. I love reading, writing, music, art and so much more!

Oh that’s good! I don’t think elections will cause that much of an issue cos I’ve also noticed it takes quite a while for the party to change laws.

2. Third Culture Kid – I am a Third Culture Kid who has lived in five different countries: πŸ‡¨πŸ‡­πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦/πŸ‡―πŸ‡²πŸ‡·πŸ‡Ί. I moved to Canada in October 2020 and I started blogging about adjusting to life here. Follow my blog for tips on expat life, stories about my life as a Third Culture Kid, features on where I have lived, and world news.

I don’t think so either. Still, after Brexit and the US elections in 2016 and 2020, elections make me sick!

3. Pooja G – Hi there! I'm Pooja, the creator of Lifesfinewhine. I'm a historian and a freelancer. I love reading, writing, music, art and so much more!

Yeah those were horrible and I think a lot of people feel that way

4. Third Culture Kid – I am a Third Culture Kid who has lived in five different countries: πŸ‡¨πŸ‡­πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦/πŸ‡―πŸ‡²πŸ‡·πŸ‡Ί. I moved to Canada in October 2020 and I started blogging about adjusting to life here. Follow my blog for tips on expat life, stories about my life as a Third Culture Kid, features on where I have lived, and world news.

Yeah, but sometimes I wonder

3. WanderingCanadians – We’re a couple of Canadians who enjoy hiking, camping, diving, and spending as much time outdoors as we can. We hope our stories can help as you plan for your adventures. https://wanderingcanadians.com

What a beautiful river, and I just love the name of it. Best of luck applying for permanent residence and for starting a business. That’s very exciting!!

It’s a lovely place. It was voted best park in Calgary. Thank you for your kind wishes and for reading 😊

4. I thought β€œbit of history” is not legible but it is. I can enlarge it in a new window and read everything there, except the French words. Wish there are more description of the natives who lived in the Elbow Valley back then. I once read a book about native Americans in Texas. I forget the name of the book already but I remember I really enjoyed it.

Well, the French is a translation of what’s already said in English. Legally, you have to do that in Canada. They tend to break up the history a lot, depending on your location, but it’s quite normal to see these signs around. That sounds like a great book! Thanks for commenting 😊

😊😊😊

5. Rosaliene Bacchus – Los Angeles - California - USA – I was born in Guyana, a former British colony on the northern coast of the South American continent. As the only English-speaking country on the continent, Guyana's historical, cultural, and economic development is linked with the Caribbean Region and is a founding member of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM). In 1987, I migrated with my husband and two sons to Fortaleza, capital of the northeastern State of Ceara in Brazil. For fourteen years, I worked as an import-export manager. My sons and I migrated to Los Angeles, Southern California in the USA, in October 2003. After migrating to the USA, I started writing articles about international trade issues and US-Brazil trade, as well as fictional short stories. As a form of self-therapy, I began working on a novel. You can learn about my journey as a writer on my author’s website. My debut novel, Under the Tamarind Tree, was released in August 2019. You can learn more, read reviews, and purchase a copy on my author’s website at Under the Tamarind Tree: A Novel by Rosaliene Bacchus. My second novel, The Twisted Circle, the story of a young nun’s journey to self-determination in a patriarchal church, was released in August 2021. I am currently working on my first book of creative non-fiction.

Wishing you success in obtaining permanent residence and in starting your business!

Thank you so much! 😊

6. kagould17 – Not much to tell. After working for 3 companies over 43+ years (38 years 7 months with my last company), I finally got that promotion I had waited my entire career for……retirement. I have been exploring this new career for the past 7+ years and while it is not always exciting, the chance to do what I want for myself and my family instead of what my company wants has been very fulfilling. Early on, there was a long list of projects in my β€œto-do” hopper and I attacked these projects with a vengeance for the first 9 months of retirement. Eventually, my brain told me that this was not what retirement was about, so it took me another 5 months before my industriousness again took over and I attacked another line of projects, this time somewhat shorter and less complicated, as well as many new projects related to the family weddings in 2016. After going hard for 6 weeks and 3 weddings, my body was telling me to relax, then the flu bug hit and as soon as that was done with me, my sciatic acted up. No rest for the wicked. In 2020 and 2021, the Covid 19 pandemic changed the whole retirement gig. I was lucky to not be still working, for sure. I enjoy photography, gardening, working with my hands, walking, cycling, skiing, travelling, reading and creating special photo and video productions obtained in my first pastime. I may never become wealthy in any of these pursuits, but I already feel I am rich in life experiences far beyond any expectation.

The park is half in SW and half in SE. Easy to be confused. One thing about Calgary, it is not enough to have the street address, if you don’t have the quadrant. You could be close or far away and wonder where you are. Looks like a good park in the bend of the river. Thanks for sharing. Allan

UGH! Tell me about it! I’m glad that I actually walked along Macleod Trail before I attempt to drive it someday. It’s better to do that as a pedestrian. It’s a nice, calming park and I heard it was voted the best in Calgary. Thanks for commenting πŸ™‚