Today’s Prompt:

What was your favourite childhood toy?

Note: Day 3 Prompt was β€œWhen was the last time you left your comfort zone?” I already did that post about my Mum’s emergency and how I handled that. I have spent a lot of time talking about that and I’m really not interested in saying it again.

Background:

By the time I was 11 years old, I lived in four countries and moved six times within the USA. I learned early on that I had to get rid of toys before I moved. There were some precious childhood toys that I clung onto, and guess what? I still have them. Those toys were a symbol of stability for me in a world where I never knew where I would be living from one year to the next. I certainly didn’t understand the β€œwhy” of moving when I was a kid. It doesn’t matter how old you are, it’s normal to crave stability.

Anyway, here are the childhood toys that have gone with me everywhere:

My Answer:

• The blanket I got when I was born: I kid you not, up until I moved to Canada, it has been with me everywhere!
  • American Girl dolls: I have Addy and Kirsten. I remember being the only one for a long time who had Kirsten. The books are incredible too! When I moved to England, it was harder to stay on top of the new books and dolls that American Girl released, but then the internet got better, so I played catch up.
  • Mementos from travelling: I keep adding to that collection.

Right now, I am not able to share photos of these things, but I will someday. I still have to move them up to Canada. I have a theory that our lives reflect what childhood toys we love. It’s certainly true for me, but that’s because

So, that’s my answer. What do you think? Do you remember your favourite childhood toy?

1. I grew up on five continents. I had a favorite doll. Beautiful doll I got in Japan with kimono. I slept with it every night growing up. When I left home my parents kept a box of my things. That doll and a few other odds and ends. On their last move back to the US they threw it out. I never could figure out why. I was very upset. As you say It must have been a symbol of stability. My mother’s reaction was – you hadn’t looked in that box for years. But my thought was – I always knew it was there.

1. Third Culture Kid – I am a Third Culture Kid who has lived in five different countries: πŸ‡¨πŸ‡­πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦/πŸ‡―πŸ‡²πŸ‡·πŸ‡Ί. I moved to Canada in October 2020 and I started blogging about adjusting to life here. Follow my blog for tips on expat life, stories about my life as a Third Culture Kid, features on where I have lived, and world news.

That’s sad they threw it out. Btw, I just followed your blog too. Nice to meet another TCK!

2. I still have my America Girl Dolls! (And I still play with them) 😝 plus I have two little blankets that I’ve had since I was born, as well as a Build-A-Bear teddy bear 🧸

Oh cool! Which dolls do you have?

1. Samantha, Tenny, Grace & Lucia (Girl of the year), and a Truly Me doll that looked like me πŸ˜‚

2. Third Culture Kid – I am a Third Culture Kid who has lived in five different countries: πŸ‡¨πŸ‡­πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦/πŸ‡―πŸ‡²πŸ‡·πŸ‡Ί. I moved to Canada in October 2020 and I started blogging about adjusting to life here. Follow my blog for tips on expat life, stories about my life as a Third Culture Kid, features on where I have lived, and world news.

The only one of those dolls I know is Samantha. Clearly, the rest came out after I moved to the UK

3. WanderingCanadians – We’re a couple of Canadians who enjoy hiking, camping, diving, and spending as much time outdoors as we can. We hope our stories can help as you plan for your adventures. https://wanderingcanadians.com

I’ve held onto the first stuffed animal that was ever given to me. It’s a bit ratty and tattered, but I’ve never been able to part with it. It’s nice to have these mementos from our childhood.

Aww, that is so lovely!

4. The Goddess Attainable – My name is Libby Saylor and I am an artist and blogger, living, working, and creating in the Philadelphia area. The Goddess Attainable Blog is an inspirational portal where I share my real and raw tales of this goddess in the making. I blog about love and dating, health and beauty, spirituality, and all things goddess-esque. Thank you for visiting and please come again!

I LOVED my American Girl doll. I had Samantha and I agree, the books were soooo amazing too. Fun post! xo

I knew other girls who had Samantha as well. Part of me wants to get the books for the newer dolls out of the library, even though I’m an adult.

1. The Goddess Attainable – My name is Libby Saylor and I am an artist and blogger, living, working, and creating in the Philadelphia area. The Goddess Attainable Blog is an inspirational portal where I share my real and raw tales of this goddess in the making. I blog about love and dating, health and beauty, spirituality, and all things goddess-esque. Thank you for visiting and please come again!

I say go for it! πŸ“• πŸ“– πŸ€“

If you do it, I’ll do it

3. The Goddess Attainable – My name is Libby Saylor and I am an artist and blogger, living, working, and creating in the Philadelphia area. The Goddess Attainable Blog is an inspirational portal where I share my real and raw tales of this goddess in the making. I blog about love and dating, health and beauty, spirituality, and all things goddess-esque. Thank you for visiting and please come again!

Hmmm interesting! Ok I’ll do it! Are you gonna pick a random one or do you have favorites? I only know the first ones, Samantha, Kirsten, Molly, and then Felicity. But I’ll read any of them!

4. Third Culture Kid – I am a Third Culture Kid who has lived in five different countries: πŸ‡¨πŸ‡­πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦/πŸ‡―πŸ‡²πŸ‡·πŸ‡Ί. I moved to Canada in October 2020 and I started blogging about adjusting to life here. Follow my blog for tips on expat life, stories about my life as a Third Culture Kid, features on where I have lived, and world news.

I have read Felicity, Josephine, Kirsten, Addy, Samantha and Molly, so I have to read the others

5. The Goddess Attainable – My name is Libby Saylor and I am an artist and blogger, living, working, and creating in the Philadelphia area. The Goddess Attainable Blog is an inspirational portal where I share my real and raw tales of this goddess in the making. I blog about love and dating, health and beauty, spirituality, and all things goddess-esque. Thank you for visiting and please come again!

Ok I think imma go with Kirsten. I’m doing a Kindle version and found that one available. Excited!!

6. Third Culture Kid – I am a Third Culture Kid who has lived in five different countries: πŸ‡¨πŸ‡­πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦/πŸ‡―πŸ‡²πŸ‡·πŸ‡Ί. I moved to Canada in October 2020 and I started blogging about adjusting to life here. Follow my blog for tips on expat life, stories about my life as a Third Culture Kid, features on where I have lived, and world news.

Oh lovely! I am going to find Kit or Kaya

5. Eromonsele Emmanuel Oigiagbe – Lagos, Nigeria – Eromonsele Emmanuel Oigiagbe is a Lagos based travel blogger who blogs about a wide range of topics including his journeys, interview with travel personalities, travel blogging tips, public transport, art galleries and monuments, and touristic attractions.

Great post! My favourite toy as a kid was a plastic motorbike. It was fun to play with and I miss it quite much.

Hey Eromonsele! Good to hear from you! That sounds like a cool toy to have. Thanks for commenting and don’t be a stranger πŸ™‚

6. CarolCooks2 – Udon Thani – Enjoying life in The Land Of Smiles I am having so much fun researching, finding new, authentic recipes both Thai and International to share with you. New recipes gleaned from those who I have met on my travels or are just passing through and stopped for a while. I hope you enjoy them. I love shopping at the local markets, finding fresh, natural ingredients, new strange fruits and vegetable ones I have never seen or cooked with. I am generally the only European person and attract much attention and I love to try what I am offered and when I smile and say Aroy or Saab as it is here in the north I am met with much smiling. Some of my recipes may not be in line with traditional ingredients and methods of cooking but are recipes I know and have become to love and maybe if you dare to try you will too. You will always get more than just a recipe from me as I love to research and find out what other properties the ingredients I use contain to improve our health and wellbeing. This is now taking me into other areas like deforestation, chemicals and preservatives in the food chain. Exciting for me hence the title of my blog, Retired No One Told Me! I am having a wonderful ride and don’t want to get off, so if you wish to follow me on my adventures, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the ride also and if it encourages you to take a step into the unknown or untried, you know you want to…….Then, I will be happy!

I agree that our childhood toys shape us πŸ™‚

7. Phyllis Youhas – Phyllis loves Glade Road! Phyllis loves her life in Blacksburg, VA but also enjoyed her career as a Public Information Director for Wake County (NC) Sheriff's Office. Other career adventures in Raleigh, NC included freelance writer, editor, political consultant, and Special Assistant to the NC Commissioner of Banks. Her hometown, Milan, Tennessee, also allowed her to teach 7th and 8th-grade English, an experience where she is certain she learned more about life than her students did about Language Arts. Most of all she loves her husband, son, sister, extended family, and dear friends who make her life a joyous journey. Come along with her as she reflects on Glade Road Living, close to nature (sometimes too close, more on that later) but not too far away from Kroger and Starbucks.

I am having trouble with this prompt, but I sure enjoyed your response. I wish I had my first blanket. I don’t even have muy son’s. Thank you for helping me think about the blankets.

You’re welcome. I thought I was going to have trouble, but then I didn’t. It might just come to you. Thanks for commenting 😊

8. I had a childhood toy I’d named Elsa… I haven’t moved around with my parents but I just know that even if I leave my comfort zone elsewhere, as far as the toy will be there, it’ll give me a sense of comfort and warmth. πŸ’†πŸ˜Š

Awww! I love that!

I’m glad you think so too. Thanks for commenting πŸ™‚