Today’s Prompt:

What makes you laugh?

I’m skipping Day 6’s prompt: What inspires me? Answer: The world.

Background:

I developed an appreciation for cultural and ethnic humour at a young age. It became obvious that my parents wanted me to broaden my horizons when they showed me Mel Brooks’ Blazing Saddles (his Magnum Opus in my opinion) when I was eight years old. Of course, that movie was accompanied by a lecture on how I’m not allowed to use the language featured there. Anyone who has seen Blazing Saddles knows why. But, never give a saga an even break! To this day, I still love Blazing Saddles and I have a group of friends who love seeing it too. My advice to anyone who hasn’t seen it before: get past the first five minutes. You will see it’s making fun of racism. At first, you may think it’s just an offensive movie, but actually, NOTHING is sacred to Mel Brooks! Nothing. He makes fun of Nazism, cultural appropriation (before that even became a mainstream term), white supremacy (again before it became mainstream), etc.

Don’t ever tell me to head something off at the pass!

As I got older, I explored more cultural and ethnic humour. I loved the BBC for its comedy, and I began to pick up the nuances of different cultural humour. I didn’t get into comedy much in the US, and then I discovered Trevor Noah and John Oliver! When I moved to Canada, I realized Canadians have an amazing sense of humour and comedy is what helps people get through the long winters! I have started creating stand-up comedy routines of my own based on my own multicultural experiences.

My Answer:

I look around me for humour, and I draw from my background. But overall, I can say that Canadians make me laugh the hardest. I’m always looking up comedy to see on CBC and CTV. Of all the countries I have lived in, Canadians have the best sense of humour hands down! That’s what inspired me to try my own standup comedy. Even if Canadians aren’t comedians, I see them making so many hilarious comments on Reddit or social media!

Here are some examples:

I feel so Calgarian when I see this

Recently, this news story happened, and Twitter blew up over this! Here are some of the best Twitter threads I have seen:

So, that’s my answer. What do you think? What makes you laugh?

1. Love your take on β€œeven if Canadians are not comedians”. As a β€œthird culture kid” – no doubt you’ve seen how other cultures use a sense of humour to deal with humourless material. Too funny.

1. Third Culture Kid – I am a Third Culture Kid who has lived in five different countries: πŸ‡¨πŸ‡­πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦/πŸ‡―πŸ‡²πŸ‡·πŸ‡Ί. I moved to Canada in October 2020 and I started blogging about adjusting to life here. Follow my blog for tips on expat life, stories about my life as a Third Culture Kid, features on where I have lived, and world news.

Yeah, I do like seeing cultural humour and the nuances with it. Thank you for your lovely comment 😊

2. On Being Stoic – Thank you for visiting my blog On Being Stoic. Inspired by Marcus Aurelius' Meditation, I have started this blog, so that I could also meditate through writing.

Oh I love Trevor Noah.. I find his point of view and experiences very interesting.

Have you read his book Born A Crime? He’s actually a Third Culture Kid just like me! Thanks for commenting πŸ™‚

Haha! Mel Brooks said said in an interview that his 5 year old grandson (or great-grandson) yelled the shitload of dimes line in a supermarket. At least he didn’t say any of the racier lines in that movie! There are worse things a 5 year old can yell in a supermarket. Thanks for commenting 😊

3. Monkey's Tale – Two Canadians travelling the word. Join us as we climb, trek, dive, snorkel, sight-see, and eat our way from Singapore to Sri Lanka.

Have you seen SCTV from the 80s? Or Kids in the Hall from the 90s? Very silly and quite typical.

I haven’t seen those yet, but I’ll check them out. Thanks for commenting πŸ™‚

4. kagould17 – Not much to tell. After working for 3 companies over 43+ years (38 years 7 months with my last company), I finally got that promotion I had waited my entire career for……retirement. I have been exploring this new career for the past 7+ years and while it is not always exciting, the chance to do what I want for myself and my family instead of what my company wants has been very fulfilling. Early on, there was a long list of projects in my β€œto-do” hopper and I attacked these projects with a vengeance for the first 9 months of retirement. Eventually, my brain told me that this was not what retirement was about, so it took me another 5 months before my industriousness again took over and I attacked another line of projects, this time somewhat shorter and less complicated, as well as many new projects related to the family weddings in 2016. After going hard for 6 weeks and 3 weddings, my body was telling me to relax, then the flu bug hit and as soon as that was done with me, my sciatic acted up. No rest for the wicked. In 2020 and 2021, the Covid 19 pandemic changed the whole retirement gig. I was lucky to not be still working, for sure. I enjoy photography, gardening, working with my hands, walking, cycling, skiing, travelling, reading and creating special photo and video productions obtained in my first pastime. I may never become wealthy in any of these pursuits, but I already feel I am rich in life experiences far beyond any expectation.

Blazing Saddles is the best, for sure. Another one is Uncle Buck with John Candy and Planes, Trains and Automobiles with Steve Martin and John Candy. Good riddance to Kevin J, what a maroon, as Bugs Bunny always used to say. Happy laughing. Allan

I think Kevin J is still in Canada and he’s not allowed to apply for political asylum in the US until he has served his jail term. Thanks for commenting πŸ™‚

It is brutal there, yes. What’s funny is he was too dumb to dress for it. Thanks for commenting πŸ™‚

5. Rosaliene Bacchus – Los Angeles - California - USA – I was born in Guyana, a former British colony on the northern coast of the South American continent. As the only English-speaking country on the continent, Guyana's historical, cultural, and economic development is linked with the Caribbean Region and is a founding member of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM). In 1987, I migrated with my husband and two sons to Fortaleza, capital of the northeastern State of Ceara in Brazil. For fourteen years, I worked as an import-export manager. My sons and I migrated to Los Angeles, Southern California in the USA, in October 2003. After migrating to the USA, I started writing articles about international trade issues and US-Brazil trade, as well as fictional short stories. As a form of self-therapy, I began working on a novel. You can learn about my journey as a writer on my author’s website. My debut novel, Under the Tamarind Tree, was released in August 2019. You can learn more, read reviews, and purchase a copy on my author’s website at Under the Tamarind Tree: A Novel by Rosaliene Bacchus. My second novel, The Twisted Circle, the story of a young nun’s journey to self-determination in a patriarchal church, was released in August 2021. I am currently working on my first book of creative non-fiction.

I enjoy watching comedy shows. They take the edge off a trying day.

Hear hear! I have had days where I will say, β€œLet’s turn on some comedy. I need something to laugh at.” Thanks for commenting πŸ™‚

6. Oh my gosh! Love Blazing Saddles. Thing is, my sense of humor is rather dark, so many people miss it. At the same time, friends don’t ask me to comedy clubs. I seldom laugh there.

I sometimes enjoy dark humour too. Thanks for commenting